Food Handling

Council's role

Wagga Wagga City Council employs Authorised Officers to conduct routine inspections of commercial food businesses and investigation of food borne illnesses within the Wagga Wagga Local Government Area.

Inspections are conducted by Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) in accordance to the Food Act 2003, Food Regulation 2015 and the Food Standards Code. During inspections EHOs may also verify other legislative requirements such as Food Safety Supervisor or Fast Choices Menu Labelling requirements.The frequency of inspections is highly dependent on the risk rating allocated to the food premise. Inspections are charged according to Council's Revenue and Pricing Policy of the current financial year.

Have you become a food business owner?

If you have purchased an existing food business within Wagga Local Government area, please notify Council of the recent changes. Other items you may wish to consider include;

  • Liaise with the previous owners to discuss any previous requests from Council, including construction issues.
  • Ensuring you meet the Food Safety Supervisor (FSS) requirements.
  • Updating the business's FSS details, online.
  • Register your food business with Council

Business registration

Registration with Council:

The Food Act requires that all permanent, mobile and temporary food businesses be registered with the relevant authorities prior to commencing trade. To register your food business with Wagga Wagga City Council,  please complete the below form and return to Council prior to commencing any food handling operations:

All food businesses must notify Council if any of the following details change; proprietor's name, business address, trading name of the food business, contact details or ABN details.

Closure of food business

Should you wish to cease trading you are required to complete and submit a Business Notification Form to Council.

Food Safety Supervisor (FSS)  

Most food businesses are required to have at least one staff member trained and appointed as a Food Safety Supervisor (FSS). The training requirements must be undertaken via an approved Registered Training Organisation (RTO).

It is a requirement that the Food Safety Supervisor Certificate be easily accessible on the food business premises and able to be produced to an Authorised Officer upon request.

For more information please refer to the NSW Food Safety Factsheets section below.

Temporary and special events application

If you are planning to sell or prepare food on a temporary basis or at a temporary event (i.e. market stall, cake stall, sausage sizzle or fundraiser stall) you need to obtain approval from Council prior to commencing trade.

Please fill in the below form and submit to Council for assessment.

For further information on Guidelines for Temporary events please see the NSW Food Authority Factsheets section below.

Food Premises Construction and Fit Out

If you are lodging a Development Application for a new food premises, or planning major construction and fit out changes to an existing approved food premises, minimum requirements in accordance to the Australian Standards and the Food Standards Codes must be adhered to.

Please see the below guideline for food premises construction and  fit out   requirements.

Food related complaints

All food borne illnesses should be reported to the NSW Food Authority via the hotline: 1300 552 406 where operators are available from 8:30am to 5:30pm. Having all the information from complaints compiled ensures that appropriate action can be taken. General complaints (e.g. cleanliness and hygiene) regarding a food business within Wagga Wagga Local Government Area may be forwarded to Council's Public Health Department.

Council's Food Safety Newsletters

NSW Food Authority  Factsheets

August 2016

August 2014

December 2013

December 2012

Guideline to Food Safety Supervisor Requirements

Temperature Control

Cleaning and Sanitising



Guidelines for Temporary Events

For further resources on Food Safety please visit