Wagga Wagga City Council coordinates a valuable work experience program for students wishing to gain practical experience in line with their current studies, or for students hoping to decide on a career path.
Where can I apply?
Council offers work experience opportunities in a wide variety of areas throughout the organisation including:
It is recommended for students to have a WHS General Construction Induction Card (White) who are looking to participate in work experience in the following areas: Engineering and Building services.
Please note, this is not an exhaustive list! If there is an area of interest not on the list, contact Council's People & Culture Division on 1300 292 442 to clarify.
How to apply
- Download the Work Experience Request Form;
- Liaise with your School's Careers Advisor / Student Coordinator to complete the Work Experience Request Form; Please note, learning institutions must include with the request a current copy of their public liability insurance covering the student for the duration of the placement. For students under the age of eighteen (18), a parental/guardian signature is required on the request form.
- Submit your request form at least four (4) weeks prior to the preferred placement date to:
Post: PO Box 20, Wagga Wagga NSW 2650
Fax: 02 6926 9199
- Upon submission, Work Experience Request Forms will be forwarded to Council's People & Culture Division;
- The People & Culture Division will review all requests and forward to the relevant supervisor within Council for their consideration;
- Upon consideration, the learning institution will be notified of the outcome in writing (either via email or writing). It is the responsibility of the Careers Advisor / Student Coordinator to liaise with the student regarding the placement outcome; and
- If approved, the student must contact their placement supervisor one (1) week prior to the commencement of the work placement to negotiate work arrangements.
Please note, while every attempt will be made to accommodate work experience students, there may be occassions where this is not possible due to operational requirements, staffing levels or placements may have reached full capacity in areas of interest.
For more information, check out Council's Work Experience Process and Fact Sheet.