Needle and Syringe Disposal
What are community sharps?
Community Sharps is a term used to define sharps that have been generated by non-clinical activities in the home or public facilities. This generally includes needles, syringes and lancets used by patients with diabetes or other medical conditions or injecting drug users.
Community Sharps initiatives in Wagga Wagga are supported by Wagga Wagga City Council, the Pharmacy Guild of Australia, Kurrajong Recyclers, the Division of General Practice & Primary Health and the Greater Southern Area Health Service.
If you inject at home you should;
- Obtain a sharps or other appropriate container (from a needle & syringe outlet) to hold your used material; and
- When your container is full, secure the lid and deliver it to a needle & syringe outlet, or a Sharps Drop-Off Point.
- Store container out of reach of children.
- Do not dispose of sharps or sharps containers into general waste or recycling bins because of the high risk of needlestick injury to workers and other members of the public.
If you inject away from home you should;
- Place all your injecting material in a sharps or other appropriate container and deliver it to a needle & syringe outlet or a Sharps Drop-Off Point or
- Place all your injecting material in a sharps bin/chute in a public toilet or any other place that has a sharps bin.
What can local businesses do?
Business operators can facilitate safe disposal and safeguard the health of employees, customers and waste workers by:
- Installing community sharps disposal bins in public toilets and restrooms and
- Arranging for a waste contractor licensed to safely remove and transport sharps waste.
If you get a needlestick injury
As soon as possible wash the area with soap and running water. Cover with a sterile dressing. Seek urgent medical attention at GP or go immediately to the Emergency Department of Wagga Wagga Base Hospital.
Council's Community Sharps Management policy aims to maintain high standards of workplace safety, public health and safety, and environmental management through effective management of the disposal of community sharps. This is achieved by:
- Encouraging broad community participation in the safe disposal of community sharps by providing and promoting accessible community sharps disposal options
- Reducing the potential for needle stick injuries to occur by providing information, training, personal protective equipment and responsive management.
- To provide mechanisms for the effective management of sharps in the community to maximise appropriate community sharps disposal.
If you find sharps in a public space
If you find a needle or syringe in a public space, please call Council or the Needle Clean up Hotline on 1800 633 353 to have the items safely removed. Most importantly do not attempt to pick up the needle or syringe.
Contacts for sharps pick up
|Council's Environment & Community Services||1300 292 442|
|National Needle Clean up Hotline||1800 633 353|
Sharps drop-off points
To ensure sharps are correctly and safely disposed of in the community, a close partnership with local pharmacies in Wagga Wagga is established. As part of Council's Sharps Management Program, community sharps containers are located at local pharmacies, where they are kept in a secure location for customer use. This type of disposal service is generally convenient for customers who obtain their injecting equipment from the pharmacy.
The following locations are available should you need to dispose of sharps or sharps containers in the Wagga Wagga area, please find a list of participating locations below.
Wagga Wagga Rural Referral Hospital
Blooms The Chemist
Shop 13, Sturt Mall
Blooms The Chemist
Shop 33, Marketplace
157-159 Baylis Street
Wagga Wagga Pharmacy
46-50 Baylis Street
12 Gurwood Street
Michael O'Reilly Pharmacy
67 Baylis Street
Shop 25, Kooringal Mall
*Ashmont Inn Car Park
55 - 57 Tobruk Street
Capital Chemist - Turvey Park
Shop 3, Turvey Tops Mall
Capital Chemist - Lake Albert
Shop 7, Lake Village Shopping Centre
Capital Pharmacy - Tolland
Shop 7, Tolland Shopping Centre
Wagga Discount Pharmacy
Shop 6, Forest Hill Shoppping Centre
31 Avocet Drive, Estella
Gregadoo Waste Management Centre
132 Ashfords Road, Gregadoo
|South City Pharmacy||Shop 5/1 Tanda Place, Glenfield Park|
|Community Health||Docker Street|
|*Chambers Park Carpark||Tolland Community Centre|
41 Bruce Street, Tolland
|*Wilks Park||Hampden Avenue, North Wagga|
To find a sharps disposal facility or a provider of sharps containers near you, visit the Safe Sharps website www.safesharps.org.au to use the interactive map or download the smart phone app. You can also visit The National Public Toilet Map to search for those public toilets which include sharps disposal facilities.
Maps of disposal units
Community Sharps Disposal bins locations (with addresses for large bins) (1.85MB)